The Bennet Rural Fire Protection District was established on February 20, 1948. The farmers and the good people of Bennet had a real need for fire protection. The Rural Fire Board and the Village of Bennet went together to help provide fire protection for the community. Sometime after May 1985, the Rural Fire District separated from the Village of Bennet. The first board members in 1948 were Harlan Hagaman, Merle Jensen, Russel King, Glen Talbot, Orris Cheney, Joe Nash. The tax levy in 1949 was $2,000.
The fire district received its first fire engine on October 4, 1948. It was a Ford F5 costing $6,052 plus hose. The next engine was a 1971 Ford LN750 that was operational January 30, 1971 costing $22,977. A 1970 International 1600 tanker was added soon to help protect the district costing $10,400. We currently have an engine, an engine/tanker, a tanker, a rescue truck and 3 grass units.
The fire department has been housed in several buildings in Bennet prior to its current location. It was once in the building on Fir Street that now has the mural painted on it. The fire department was also housed at the current village office. The current station
phase #1 was erected in 1985 for $88,594. Phase #2 was added in 2006 for a bit over $110,000. The Bennet Fire Department has been an active part of the community throughout its history. They have held community runs and drama performances. Over the
past 20 years, they have held an annual pancake feed and open house for the community each October as part of their fire
prevention and education program. We have also been active in other social events held in town and the 4th of July activities.
Both men and women have served over the years in firefighting and medical /rescue calls. We have a strong tradition and have some current 3rd generation members serving as volunteers. We average about 150 calls for service each year average about 150 calls for service each year.